On a subconscious level I have associated finishing any kind of project (personal or professional) with stress/procrastination/overwhelming complexity and because of this expectation, I have created these scenarios for myself and then gotten so overwhelmed I have not finished many things. This message came to me this morning when I asked what I should be focusing on now and why do I feel overwhelmed by choices.
The irony is that it is actually not that hard to complete projects - even making a movie from start to finish - or an invention; it is not "hard" unless you define "hard" being just full of unknowns, and sometimes boring or tedious! But "hard" is such a relative term and I have now begun to embrace "hard" as not a "scary" or "overwhelming" thing... just uncomfortable...
I have always begun LOTS of projects - even now - but I finally realize that it is harder to begin a lot of things at once (but more exciting) than just finish things one thing at a time --Things are as hard as we expect them to be!
My biggest fear has been THE UNKNOWN since I have associated it until recently with pain and fear, like a terrible Haunted House - but in reality, THE UNKNOWN can be incredible and better than anything you've experienced! This is the new expectation I hold, while knowing that I can physically protect myself in any Unknown, and the world is not as scary as we are taught!
A great solution when going into the unknown (finishing any project) is to think of it as an ADVENTURE (even paying taxes or anything you have to do) and during this adventure (even going to do laundry) remember to breathe deeply when you are completing things and when you take breaks, only focus on breathing, eating, writing or nature, or listening to music, or eating healthy natural bland protein-rich snacks (like almonds and blueberries or toasted pumpkin seeds or grassfed beef jerky)
Keep it simple.
Do not focus on taking in any more stimuli (new projects/social media/internet) -- Just make things as simple and bland and boring for yourself (this goes back to the whole concept of Dopamine Detox!) - otherwise you might feel too overstimulated and overwhelmed and tired to complete the thing you set out to!
If you keep it simple for yourself, you may face 'unknowns' and you may be bored ... but keep going and you will finish things! One at a time!
A new technique I have when completing things is to think of the bare minimum action that I have to do to complete a project/goal and do that. I was inspired by my friend Holly's podcast MindSpeak on this topic.
Things do not need to be hard anymore; hard was an illusion we bought into in order to keep goals seem too far away for most people to achieve. Things just take time, patience, determination, Oxygen, water, good posture, and a feeling of optimism that you can do it!
Do not compare yourself to anyone else; imagine if your grandmother compared herself to her friends in terms of career or popularity or anything else. It doesn't really matter!!!
I remember my Grandma Rose telling me that my grandpa was the 'best dancer in Newark New Jersey" and it is really so amazing the things we place value on and feel "cool" about during our lives when over time, it all feels so quaint and trivial to others (though I really wish I got to see my grandpa dance in the 1920s!)
Feel cool for being yourself, regardless of any accomplishment and start from that place. Taking the most boring bare minimum actions you can on your goals! (plus inherent excitement, which is why you want to do the things in the first place!)