Yesterday I was on my computer for literally 10 hours - between writing my last post, taking an online course on our shadow self through HolisticFashionista.com, and listening to a business course for sensitive people, by the end of the day I was in SUCH neck and shoulder pain.
Luckily I made an appointment with a chiropractor for today and my friend and I are going together which will be nice as I haven't gone since about October!
I forgot what it is like to sit for 10 hours a day and my body showed me that it is not sustainable.
I realize that whenever I am immersed in something on the computer I will completely ignore any signs from my body that it is time for a break!
When I had my jewelry company I would be in so much pain because I would sit for so many hours and the same when I was coming up with my scripts and I realize that my body is dreading for me to begin another serious course of work because it knows that my ingrained manner of work is to ignore it.
This brings me to the topic of boundaries - we often think of having boundaries with other people who disrespect our time and space - but usually the inability to make boundaries with others is a direct reflection of how we treat ourselves.
I just had a conversation with my friend who I am staying and she says she takes a break every 25 minutes to either walk around the house or lie down or check her phone.
To me, this initially sounds very decadent as if I need to be more of a task master to myself and at least work for 45 minutes without a break - but I realize that the best key to success is to LISTEN to my body when it is ready for a break.
Even as I type this, I know it will be a short post (brb break)*....
(I just took a short break to stretch my neck and stand up and it was short but sweet. )
I think about how society teaches us to ignore our bodies.
Sit in a schoolroom from age 5-12th grade in uncomfortable molded chairs.
Ignore your bladder when you have to use it if you are in school/ a meeting/driving (UNLESS YOU ARE WEARING AN EXCITING SECRET DIAPER LIKE I ENVISIONED DRIVING CROSS-COUNTRY OOPS!)
Ignore your emotions if you are feeling scared or angry since oyu feel like you will look weak/overwhelm whoever you are with.
Finish your food even if you are full, to be polite and not waste food and/or worrying you won't ever have food that delicious again.
The act of sitting and ignoring our bodies is likely why people take so many pain killers and it is a deep sign that many of us, myself included, are not setting healthy boundaries with ourselves as much as we can!
The thing is - nobody tells you to take a break.
Nobody tells you to relax your posture
Nobody tells you that sitting is completely unnatural and a product of the industrial revolution which trained students to prepare for a tedious monotonous obedient work environment through an industrialized model of education where you move based on alarm bells, just like the factory environment you are being molded for.
In fact, the more robotic you are in our society, the more you are praised. The more obedient and work obsessed you are, the more you are seen as a "success"
But to who's standards?
Nobody is here telling me that I need to work more than 25 minutes at a time.
Nothing will be more productive if I am burnt out before I even begin.
We do not have to please the invisible teacher in our hearts anymore, who has bullied us since childhood to stay on the "right track"
The "right track" in our society leads to a destination I do not want to go anymore.
I realize that I have constipated myself from diving fully into all my ambitions because deep down, I am afraid I won't respect my body and I will experience burn out which has happened every time I have done big things.
I realize that on a subconscious level, I have held myself back from moving forward on my gigantic ambitions because I thought it would be overwhelming in all areas - and especially on a physical level, since I would become a workaholic perfectionist which I have done in the past to the point where I don't enjoy what I am doing.
Luckily, I am now aware of this and my tendency to ignore my needs if I see there is work to be done - and now I am ready to give up this habit and replace it with love for my body telling me what it needs and me having the loving respect to give it everything it wants (healthy food and breaks and love)
It is my intention this day going forward to respect my body just as much as I am now respecting my brain/soul.
I will not sit for more than my body wants and when I do get up, I will be thankful for everything I have done in that period.
I have bought some cool neck devices and back roller things and I will use that - and when I move to a more natural environment (soon), I will make sure to take breaks outside in the grass and hopefully by a body of water, which is what I plan to have near me, wherever I move!
Today after my chiropractic appointment I will go run on the sand by the ocean. I am so thankful for this opportunity.
I will continue back on my previous "story" soon but wanted to share this in case you are experiencing this too!
